|"The building is of inert materials . . . brick and wood and glass -- but the institution it houses is a living thing, like a young fruit tree, valuable now but nothing to what it will be when it comes into flower and then fruit, offering to the town beauty and fragrance and flavor through years that no one can calculate."
-- From the address given at the dedication of the Richard H. Thornton Library by Gerald W. Johnson on April 7th, 1963.
The free Granville County Public Library was started in 1935, due in largest part by previous decades of support and planning by the Oxford Woman's Club. In 1936, Granville County became the first county in North Carolina to levy a county tax for county-wide library service.
Presently the library has over 100,000 books, tapes, dvds, magazines and other materials available for everyone to utilize.
Thornton Library also has a room steeped in North Carolina History. This room is devoted to books and clippings on the people, events and places of North Carolina. Known as The North Carolina Room, you can find out more about its holdings by visiting our Genealogy page.
For more information about us, including our operating hours and our locations, check out the following links: